Rutgers is a leading national research university, with a depth and breadth of research activity and resources unparalleled in New Jersey. With the establishment of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS), Rutgers moves to new heights and now stands as one of America’s largest, most comprehensive university-based centers for studying and improving human health and health care. Through basic, translational, and clinical research—spanning the life sciences, physical sciences, and social sciences—we advance knowledge and technology that drive education, medical breakthroughs, and economic development, while improving lives at home and in the global community.
Led by the university’s faculty, research is supported by staff in many units. The Office of Research and Economic Development facilitates grant applications, research alliances, technology commercialization, and relationships among faculty and the business community.
Research at Our Schools
Many research activities within Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences are coordinated by the individual schools.
- Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
- Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- New Jersey Medical School
- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
- School of Health Related Professions
- School of Nursing
- School of Public Health
Research Centers and Institutes
These primary Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences research centers and institutes work closely with RBHS and other schools.
- Cancer Institute of New Jersey
- Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine
- Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute
- Institute for Health, Health Care Policy and Aging Research
Additional Research Centers and Institutes
- Hundreds of additional centers and institutes work collaboratively across disciplines with RBHS, with other Rutgers units, and with other institutions worldwide.
Behavioral Health Research
University Behavioral Health Care conducts behavioral health, mental health, and addiction research with the goal of offering cutting-edge technologies and new treatment alternatives.
- The Rutgers Office of Research and Economic Development works with Rutgers faculty and staff, major corporations and the region’s business community, and allies such as BioNJ and the New Jersey Business and Industry Association, to make connections and foster collaborations for research and development initiatives across all of our campuses.
- The Rutgers Clinical Research Organization is the gateway to RBHS’s statewide clinical trial activities. Dedicated to effective collaboration between industry and academia to advance care and the boundaries of health care treatment, we partner with patients, industry, and practitioners to identify appropriate investigators and academic resources to meet patients’ needs.
- The Rutgers Office of Technology Commercialization serves as a bridge between Rutgers researchers and commercialization partners, ensuring the smooth and fast transfer of intellectual property created at the university. The staff educates and serves as a resource for the Rutgers community on matters relating to intellectual property, technology commercialization and entrepreneurship; protects intellectual property via trademarks and patents; and negotiates patent licenses.
- The Office of Translational Science (OTS) assists biomedical science faculty in creating and building interdisciplinary collaborative research. By providing access to facilities and expertise in molecular imaging, synthesis of probe molecules, and related technologies, OTS is committed to meeting the needs of both university and industry collaborators.
Applying for a Grant? We Can Help
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs offers a wide variety of services to help faculty and staff apply for grants. Our grant specialists can help you interpret sponsor guidelines and instructions, assist in budget development and ensure that applications and awards meet compliance requirements. ORSP also provides sign off on submissions, accepts incoming awards, and negotiates grant-related agreements, including sub-awards.
A Guide for Businesses
We welcome industry decision-makers to explore
- our cutting-edge research,
- opportunities for licensing,
- top-notch training,
- deep pool of well-educated talent, and
- myriad resources offered by a leading center of learning.
Find out how we can meet your needs via our Business Portal.
Did You Know?
Rutgers University–New Brunswick is the only public New Jersey university in the Association of American Universities (AAU), a group comprising North America’s 62 leading research universities. Rutgers and Princeton are New Jersey’s only AAU members.
Ethics, Compliance & Corporate Integrity
Employees and students of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) are expected to adhere to the highest standards of ethics and compliance whenever acting on behalf of RBHS.
Research Resources for Faculty, Staff, and Students
- Clinical Research Organization
- Ethics, Compliance & Corporate Integrity
- Human Subjects Protection Program and Institutional Review Boards (IRBs)
- Office of Research and Economic Development
- Research and Sponsored Programs
- Technology Commercialization
- Health Sciences Research Overview
- Research at Rutgers Overview
- Faculty & Staff Research Resources
- Division of Grant and Contract Accounting