- New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Rutgers University Newark
Prior Academic Training
Applicants for admission to the Urban Systems program possess a broad range of academic backgrounds, including degrees in the social sciences (anthropology, sociology, geography and psychology), nursing and other health disciplines, architecture and urban planning, education, and social work.
Admissions to the Doctoral Program
The criteria for admission to the PhD Program in Urban Systems include academic achievement, scholarship, professional character, scientific inquisitiveness, accountability, dependability, and interpersonal skills. While a completed master's degree is preferred from applicants, outstanding individuals without such training are also considered.
Advice about Applications
In doctoral education, success is predicated on a good match between student and program. In your application, you should take the opportunity to sell yourself. The personal statement should be typed, proof read, and provide information on:
- who you are and what you have done,
- your motivation for seeking the PhD,
- what you hope to do once you've obtained the degree,
- your area of interest in a general sense,
- your research interest.
Think of your application as a "portfolio." You will need to provide letters of recommendation, a copy of a resume or CV, and any other materials that you think may be important to understand your experience and potential. These might include copies of course papers, grant proposals, publications, program development materials, etc. A personal interview is also encouraged, either by phone or in person.
- Completed Application to the PhD Program in Urban Systems. Scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or its equivalent (e.g., MCAT, GMAT, DAT, or other acceptable examination). Inquiries regarding the substitution of other examinations should be addressed to the Program Director.
- International students, and all students whose first language is not English, must provide competitive scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Official transcripts of all prior academic work.
- Three letters of recommendation (faculty preferred).
- Written Statement of Purpose. (Include your research interests)
- Interview (Optional).
Contact the program coordinator of the specific track for further information on the admission process. Completed applications should be sent directly to the coordinator of the Track/Major.
Director: Sabrina Marie Chase, PhD firstname.lastname@example.org 973-353-5744
- Urban Health Track applicants may apply online
- The program admits students for the Fall semester only. Please submit your completed application no later than April 1 for admission to the Fall cohort of the same year. Applicants are encouraged to contact the director, Dr. Sabrina Marie Chase, prior to submitting an application. In some cases, non-matriculated student enrollment is possible.
Global Urban Studies
- Rutgers Graduate Admissions. Global Urban Studies students should apply online at the Rutgers website
Environment Track Director and Joint Urban Systems PhD Program Director: Dr. Karen Franck, email@example.com
- The Urban Environment track may be applied for on the NJIT website